Where do your candidates stand on Animal Welfare?
Posted 26th May 2017
During this election campaign, thousands of people have Voted for Vinny by contacting their local election candidates. We asked candidates three simple questions, with a slight amendment to reflect the different circumstances in Scotland.
Below you can find candidates’ responses. If not all of your local candidates are listed, then it's likely they chose not to respond. This might indicate their views on the subjects we raised.
England, Wales and Northern Ireland
We asked candidates in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland to:
- Support the creation of a register of convicted animal abusers to ensure that banning orders are enforceable.
- Support an increase in the maximum sentence for animal cruelty offences to five years imprisonment
- Reject any weakening of the ban on hunting
Candidates in Scotland were asked to:
- Pledge to vote to keep the English and Welsh Hunting Act at least as strong as it is now
- Write to the Scottish Government telling them you want a real ban on hunting in Scotland
- Pledge to do all you can to protect animals from being harmed in the name of 'sport'
If you have not already contacted your local candidates, or you cannot find them listed, you can do so here.