As a campaigning organisation, we have strived to protect animals for 90 years, and have had many successes. We also have had disappointments, which are only to be expected for a committed and passionate group of people who want to see change faster than it often comes.
We do not let that deter us, as we know that a civilised society does not want to partake in cruel sports, and that in 100 years many of the issues we campaign on now will be consigned to the history books.
Listed below are some key achievements, so you can see that we mean business when it comes to exposing and ending the cruelty inflicted on animals in the name of sport. To ensure you keep up-to-date with our campaigns please sign up to our campaign e-newsletters.
- Our major achievement to date was getting hunting banned in Scotland (Protection of Wild Mammals Act) and England and Wales (Hunting Act 2004) after 80 years of campaigning
- Our related challenge, but also continuing achievement, is the constant defence of the Hunting Act 2004 against our opponents who claim it does not work, and those who want to see it repealed
- Enforcement of the Hunting Act 2004, thanks to our professional team of Investigators, is a major achievement
- After a landmark League prosecution of badger abusers in the early 1990s, the law was changed to strengthen the law on badger protection. We remain a staunch defender of the much persecuted badger
- We were a founder of 'Team Badger', the coalition of animal welfare organisations campaigning against the 2012 and 2013 badger cull
- Continuing to challenge the social norm in terms of attitudes to animals, and questioning why the abuse of animals for sport is allowed to continue. For example, we held a symposium on the shooting industry to highlight the realities of the sport, and to bring together thought leaders in the area
Our campaigns are often fast-moving, so find the latest information in our dedicated Our Campaigns section and ensure you are signed up for our regular e-newsletter. We will also send you urgent action alerts when campaigns need your help, so that you can be a voice for change animals.