What We are Doing in Northern Ireland
The League Against Cruel Sports in Northern Ireland actively campaigns on a number of issues including hare coursing and snaring, including:
- Influencing Government legislation to include higher animal welfare standards. In recent years the League has achieved a hare coursing ban as part of the Wildlife and Natural Environment Act and stronger provisions against dog fighting in the Welfare of Animals Act
- Give submissions to NI Assembly consultations on animal welfare issues and give expert evidence at relevant Committees at Stormont on new proposed legislation. Recent consultation submissions include: http://www.doeni.gov.uk/snares_order_consultation.pdf
- Lobby all political parties on our key campaigns in Northern Ireland. You can read our latest Stormont Public Affairs Briefing March 2011.pdf
- Sit on the Partnership for Action Against Wildlife Crime Northern Ireland (PAWNI). http://www.psni.police.uk/paw.pdf
- Expose the cruelty of snaring through investigation. Read our most recent report Tightening the Noose.
- Take an active role in raising awareness and reducing wildlife crime.
- Work with other NGO’s to achieve our shared objectives.
- Look to how legislation in the Republic of Ireland can have a positive or negative effect on enforcing the legislation in the North of Ireland.