Urgent call for badger cull debate in House Of Commons
11 October 2012
Animal welfare charity, the League Against Cruel Sports is calling for the Government to postpone the badger cull trials and to debate the issue within the House of Commons. This follows the e-petition exceeding the 100,000 signatures needed - by over 50,000 - to be considered for a debate.
The charity’s plea comes as rumours mount indicating that the pilot cull of thousands of badgers could begin on Monday 15th October in parts of Gloucestershire and Somerset, following the second licence granted by Natural England last week, to allow farmers to shoot badgers to help control bovine TB.
Joe Duckworth, Chief Executive of the League Against Cruel Sports, comments: “Proceeding with the trial badger cull flies in the face of the overwhelming public opposition and scientific evidence. The Government must listen to us and the countless thousands of voters, who see badger culling as an unjustified, cruel and counter-productive policy.
“Without calling for a debate to discuss the facts carefully before commencing with the slaughter and suffering of thousands of badgers, the Government is simply putting two fingers up to British wildlife and the public wanting to protect it.”
The League Against Cruel Sports is strongly opposed to the impending badger cull, in favour of implementing a more sustainable and humane solution of both a vaccination programme for badgers and cattle, along with improved testing and biosecurity.
The charity urges the Government to listen to the overwhelming public opposition to the cull and to study the independent scientific research available.
Notes to Editors
• The League Against Cruel Sports has issued an urgent action to supporters to contact their MP and urge the Government to halt the trial culls and have the issue debated and a vote taken before progressing
• The petition reached over 150,000 signatures on Tuesday 9th October 2012, less than a month after it was created and opened online
• TeamBadger: http://www.TeamBadger.org
• To sign the petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257
• The League Against Cruel Sports is part of Team Badger, a coalition of national, local and grass roots animal and wildlife welfare organisations representing millions of compassionate citizens. We reject the government’s policy of badger culling as unsound, unscientific and unacceptable.
• Please contact the League’s Press Office on 01483 524250 (24hrs) with any queries, or email firstname.lastname@example.org